Healthy Diwali Delights
- 2 cups grated carrots (gajar)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom powder
- A pinch of saffron strands (optional)
- Heat the ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the carrots and cook until softened about 5 minutes.
- Add the milk and sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and the halwa has thickened.
- Stir in the hemp hearts, almonds, pistachios, and cardamom powder. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the halwa is heated through.
- Serve hot or warm, garnished with additional hemp hearts and nuts, if desired.
- For a richer flavor, use full-fat milk.
- If you don't have a heavy-bottomed pan, you can cook the halwa in a non-stick pan, but you'll need to stir it more often to prevent sticking.
- To make the halwa even more flavorful, add a few drops of rose water or kewra water at the end of cooking.
- The halwa can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- By adding hemp hearts to gajar ka halwa, you can make it a more nutritious and satisfying dessert that can also offer some health benefits.