- 1 can of chickpeas or 1.5 cups (250 grams) cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) well-stirred tahini paste (optional)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced tablespoons (30 ml) extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 ml) water
- Dash ground paprika, for serving
- Topping: Hemp Seed Oil
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the tahini and lemon juice and process for 1 minute. Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice. Process for 1 minute.
- Open, drain, and rinse the chickpeas. Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1-2 minutes until thick and quite smooth.
- Most likely the hummus will be too thick or still have tiny bits of chickpea. To fix this, with the food processor turned on, slowly add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water until you reach the perfect consistency.
* For beetroot hummus: blend beetroot in the food processor as well.
Serve hummus with a drizzle of Hemp Sed Oil and dash of paprika. Eat with pita bread, whole wheat bread, sour dough or even chapati- the choice is yours, and enjoy :)
You may store homemade hummus in an airtight container and refrigerate up to one week.